My day (Kwazi) began at 2am as I was awaken by my stomach and the well expected Delhi Belly, I now can truly say that I’ve been to India. And it seemed as though I wasn’t the only one who had thee complications as I found out that 5 other students had the same complications.

Unlike Kwazi, I (Abby) awoke at 4:45 AM stomach pain free, and ready to start the day. Although I empathized with those who were sick, I was very very happy that I wasn’t. We headed to the train station in Udiapur, and then departed to Pushkar, the next destination on our journey. I did get to see some of the beautiful orange sunrise, but mostly I slept. I’m not a morning person.

Nonetheless, we all got up at 5am to drive to the train station; we would leave Udaipur and make our way to Ajmer and then Pushkar. On the train we got the chance to witness the sunrise. Most of us enjoyed this train experience. Instead of sitting in our seats in the coach, some of us decided to take an adventurous leap and open the coach doors and watch the sunrise. What began as merely an attempt to watch the sunrise resulted in a 2 hour chill session as we enjoyed the scenery, the sound of the train on the tracks, and the wind in our faces.

Once we arrived in Ajmer we took cars into Pushkar. The hotel where we stayed resembled a white palace and had paintings of Hindu stories across its walls and to our delight the hotel had pool. We had lunch at the hotel and then anxiously waited for the camel rides. We all got the chance to pick our camel that we would take up the sand dunes. The camel guide showed us how to get on the camels, and once we were on the camels we felt as though we were on top of the world. My camel’s name was Krishna, and here friends were Obama, Lucky and Roman. Krishna was very friendly and gentle, and so the guide entrusted me with the reins.

abby Untitled

Once we arrived into Pushkar, we embarked on a nauseating journey up the mountain to our hotel. Upon arrival we realized that we are staying at a traditional Indian palace, and our mouths dropped when we walked in. The ceilings were extremely high, and Hindu stories were painted as murals on the walls. After eating lunch we had some time to relax by the pool, and then headed off to camel riding!

Camel riding was unlike any experience I had previously had, even elephant riding. I was unaware of how big camels were, and mounting the camel was an experience in itself. Once we were on our way we got to see much of the Pushkar desert and country side. After our ride we arrived in a very sandy desert, where we got to witness traditional Indian music while drinking delicious Chai and watching the sunset. It was a surreal experience.

By Kwazi Nkomo and Abby Okin