Day 8: Thursday, March 10th

Today was an interesting day. We drove to Santa Fe, visited Bandelier National Monument, did some souvenir shopping, and then finished our drive to Albuquerque.

We started out the day with a French toast breakfast. We then headed to the vans to put all our bags in. From there we took off to go to the Taos town square where we got sweatshirts, ice cream and our last chance to take in the Pueblo spirit. Since we weren’t done shopping when it was time to go, we decided to stop at a drum store. When we had all gotten what we wanted, we set out on a two hour-long hike at Bandelier National Monument. We played a game in which we hunted for small remains of pottery that the ancient native people had left along the hiking path. We saw caves that were once inhabited by Pueblo ancestors, and saw petroglyphs carved into the stone walls, including a few spiral inscriptions. The stone path we walked on was over a thousand years old, and was worn down so deeply in some places that it was waist-deep. Then we were off again. It took us a little less then an hour to reach the Santa Fe plaza. There we finished off our shopping and ate dinner at a local restaurant. Some of us also visited the Loretto Chapel’s Miraculous Staircase We then headed back to the hotel where we decided to swim and play pool games. We were all very tired from our hiking and swimming experience so we headed to bed.

Marnie & Hayden

photo 2photo 1 photo 3 photo 5

photo 4

IMG_3897 IMG_3898 IMG_3903 IMG_3922 IMG_3937 IMG_3959 IMG_3964 IMG_4007 IMG_4029 IMG_4090 IMG_4111

Day 7: Wednesday, March 9th

Our day began with breakfast at the boys’ lodge. After breakfast, we packed out lunches and loaded the van with the supplies/gifts we had bought for the Taos Pueblo Day School. We then drove to the school for our third day of volunteering. When we arrived, we split up into our different grade levels and worked with the kids. At the students’ Lunch and Recess time, we distributed the gifts; the students were so happy to see them. It was really special to be able to help out and see how grateful they were for the items we brought them. After a big catch with one of the Wilson footballs, we then said our goodbyes, gave a lot of fist bumps and headed back to the lodge. At the lodge, we changed into our clothes for the sweat lodge! To be prepared for the heat, Mr. Mulhern made us drink about 5 glasses of water! Then we drove to the sweat lodge and got a tour from the guy who owns the sweat lodge’s property. The lodge was on the famous New Buffalo Commune, which was built in 1967. The sweat lodge wasn’t just ready when we arrived, though – we had to build the whole thing! We assigned everyone jobs such as blanket duty, fire lighting and wood collecting. After about an hour we had finally finished building the sweat lodge! We had the girls go in the lodge first and the boys second.

As the girls each entered the lodge, we cleansed ourselves with sage smoke and said “aho matakas” which means “all my relations”. We sat in a circle inside the lodge, and when they first put in the volcanic rocks, which each represented different things, I thought that it was really hot. As a girl, (Emma) I have never sweated more in my entire life. The first, easternmost stone brought in represented the future, the southernmost rock represented friends and relationships (including all life forms), the western rock represented death, and the northern one represented family. Next, a rock placed in the middle represented earth, a second one represented the Great Spirit, and the final one brought in represented the mystical, mysterious unknown. Once the rocks were all brought in, Chris (the leader) explained that the lodge represented the womb, which extends into the Earth and connects us to the ground. When he then added the water to the rocks, I thought I was going to die. But at that point the group leader was only adding small spoonfuls of water. As the steam filled the lodge, we each said a prayer of thankfulness and healing to the ‘grandma’ and ‘grandpa’ spirits. The leader then played the flute for us (but the boys had drums and chanting) and spoke to us about authenticity, and how the greatest wealth we can have is love for ourselves and for one another. About forty minutes into the ceremony, he asked us if we wanted to try “Warrior Mode”. I was quite concerned about what “Warrior Mode” was but I knew it wasn’t good. We knew, though, that we could leave at any time, or just put our heads closer to the ground to be in cooler air. Turns out, “Warrior Mode” means you dump the entire bucket of water on the volcanic rocks and it creates so much steam, it is hard to see the person across from you! When I walked out of the lodge, it was freezing! It definitely took my body a while to adjust to such a dramatic temperature change. After the girls went out, the boys went in. As a boy, (Quintin), I had mixed emotions about the sweat lodge. I went in and immediately got claustrophobic because of the small space. He started the ceremony with us giving a loud or silent prayer. Then, he hit the drum and we let our emotions out and started screaming. Then he threw water from the spoonful at us, and believe me it was very cold. Then he poured the whole bucket of water into the lava rocks and you could literally feel your face melting. Then, since the sun disappeared we ran out of time so we had to end. By the way, the girls were able to build two fires without matches with the help of mama B while the boys were in the sweat lodge, and the boys only built one. It was an awesome outdoor experience for all!  When everyone was out of the sweat lodge, we cleaned up the fires and the lodge, thanked Chris and drove back to the lodge. We drove straight home, had dinner at the boys’ house, packed our clothes up, and went to bed.

-Emma & Quintin

IMG_3320 IMG_3332 IMG_3354 IMG_3374 IMG_3378 IMG_3410 IMG_3418  IMG_3510



IMG_6790IMG_3755 IMG_3523 IMG_3554 IMG_3585 IMG_3592 IMG_3668 IMG_3724 IMG_3752   IMG_3760

IMG_6794 IMG_3761 IMG_6754

Day 6: Tuesday, March 8th

We started today at the Pueblo Day School. As this is our second day, we are beginning to get to know the students a lot better.

School ended early today, as it is a major day for prayer at the Tao’s Pueblo. We aren’t exactly sure why, as it is kept very secret.

After school, we stopped at a National Park and got a chance to enter a kiva. A kiva is a Native religious structure, and most non-natives aren’t allowed to enter. The one we got to see was about a thousand years old, but isn’t used today. We climbed down the raw wooden ladder (kivas are underground), and stood inside the sacred structure. It was a bit moldy, and very cold. From what we understand, people used to live in the structure for days on end to pray. Living inside a kiva would be quite difficult from what we observed.

Afterwards, we headed to Walmart to pick up some supplies to donate to the school. We split into groups based on grade, tried to stick to our budget, and selected supplies we thought the school needed. Next, we drove to Downtown Taos. We explored, window-shopped, and bought some souvenirs and gifts.

After that, we drove across the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, and looked around the Earthship Biotecture, which is a completely sustainable community built out of recycled materials. We headed back to the lodge for a relaxed evening of food (fry bread cheese burgers to be specific), campfires (Mulhern is quite the fire-master), and stories about ghosts and UFOs told by our storyteller Chris. He was interrupted a few times by the incredible sounds of coyotes and owls that surrounded us.  After being thoroughly intrigued and freaked out, we had some delicious smores.  Before going to bed, we had a star-gazing party in field for those who wanted to participate.  The sky seems larger than life out here and you can see the constellations so clearly at night here in Taos, New Mexico.

Laina and Cameron


IMG_4731 IMG_4719 IMG_4722 IMG_4726

IMG_3134 IMG_3152


IMG_3184IMG_3278IMG_4734 IMG_3296IMG_4736 IMG_3297 IMG_3298IMG_1136IMG_3233


IMG_1139 (1)




Day 5: Monday, March 7th

Our day started off when we drove to the Pueblo school down the road to go volunteer with elementary students. The Pueblo was closed but they allowed us in.  We were assigned in groups of three to a grade level. The grade levels included Pre-school, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.  Once we were there, we spent time getting to know the children, tutoring them throughout the day.

At around 12’oclock, we left the school and drove back home to pick up our bathing suits. Once all were ready, we hiked down the Rio Grande for about a mile to local hot springs. There were 3 pools and one of them was super hot, the other one was hot, and the last one was just warm. We then hiked back up to the van and found that the elevation of about six thousand feet took a toll on the pace of our hiking.

In the evening, we went to an eccentric man named Larry Torres’s house and he told us many stories about his life including his studies of witchcraft, the languages he has learned, and the places he has been to. He speaks 24 languages, has lived in 58 countries, and is currently a linguistics professor and deacon at the local Catholic Church. His house was as unique and interesting as he was. He was very spiritual and painted almost all of the paintings in his house, most of which had religious themes. He gave us a tour of his house describing every unique attribute in his home. He has been interviewed by many magazines and has a lot of unique stuff that people have felt the need to hide in his house. He also has a secret dungeon, but he says that not many people have even heard of, let alone seen it. Fortunately, we weren’t allowed inside it. Even weirder than the secret dungeon, however, was that he has been collecting his fingernail clippings for the past 50 years! He showed us a wooden box filled with his old nails. It was fascinating, gross, and fun to play with. He also told us a story in French, Spanish, Russian and English simultaneously, he is so unique!  Although another unique aspect of his house is that it was neighboring Julia Roberts’ house. Ms. Biscardi (A.K.A. Mama B) was very sad that she did not bring her binoculars. We are very fortunate to have met such a person.

On the way home in Biscardi’s Party bus, Mulhern and Leah took it back Ice Cube style and then Aiden and Orly took it back further with “Boogie Wonderland”. All together we had a pretty fantastic day in gangsters’ paradise.

Leah and Caleb



IMG_4639 IMG_4648 IMG_4654IMG_2871


IMG_4674 IMG_4688    IMG_2945 IMG_2946 IMG_2995 IMG_3018 IMG_3095IMG_1065 IMG_1062 IMG_1058 IMG_1057 (1) IMG_1048 IMG_1045 IMG_1040

Day 4: Sunday, March 6th

Today was a day full of learning and new experiences. We went on a walk to see buffalo, went to a church service and then started toward our tour guide Floyd’s house to go horseback riding. We also watched how the pueblos make jewelry, spent some time shooting arrows, and went to a concert by Robert Mirabal.

Horseback riding was a blast. Lots of people who had never ridden or had only ridden a few times. We enjoyed the rush of being on a horse. After horseback riding, we went to Floyd’s sister’s house and watched how the Pueblo make jewelry. We saw many beautiful pieces she and her husband had made. Then we headed to Floyd’s house where we shot some bows and arrows and learned about the challenges and rewards of being an Indian.

For dinner we went to a restaurant called the Tiwa Kitchen, which is the only restaurant in the pueblo. We had very good food that included chili, fry bread, salad, egg salad, beef stew, and apple tarts. After dinner we went to the house of a two-time Grammy winning musician named Robert Mirabal. His music was beautiful and so were his words. He told us stories about how his music originated and what the songs meant to him. He strongly valued “agri-culture”. He also said that if the corn dies then the people die. Our day ended with a ride home talking about the day we had and how the concert had effect on us. It was a great day we will all remember forever, because of the experiences we had.

Caly & Ben

IMG_2766 IMG_2411 IMG_2413IMG_4414 IMG_2381 IMG_2426IMG_2360 IMG_2429 IMG_2443 IMG_2444 IMG_2446 IMG_2460 IMG_2482  IMG_2489 IMG_2543IMG_4428 IMG_4449 IMG_4495 IMG_4543   IMG_2594 IMG_2647

IMG_0981 (1) IMG_2763 IMG_2955 IMG_2958IMG_4591

IMG_0968 IMG_2722 IMG_2759 IMG_2760 IMG_2761 IMG_2762 IMG_2731IMG_1016 IMG_1033IMG_4629

Day 3: Saturday, March 5th

Today we went to Chaco Canyon. The Chaco canyon buildings are over 1,000 years old! The amazing thing about Chaco canyon was the builders made it so that the buildings were all aligned with the sun. Since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, the builders aligned the back walls perfectly east to west. From our lodge it took 5 hours to get there. That is a long time to stay in the car. When we finally got to Chaco Canyon everyone was anxious to get out of the car and into the fresh warm air. Once we got out we saw Pueblo Bonito. We walked around the whole site. It was amazing. We saw a bunch of kivas. These were circular spiritual places for ceremonies. Next we drove to the biggest buildings. This was our favorite part of the day! We climbed up to the very top of the canyon. There were all of these jagged rocks everywhere. Mulhern even made us climb on our hands and knees. When we got to the very top of the canyon we took so many pictures. Everyone was so focused on taking so called artsy pictures. The top of the canyon had a gorgeous view. We were up there for a lot of time. It was great! Everyone loved it. It was a little scary being that high in the sky. The canyon was approximately 100 feet. After we explored a lot of the top of the canyon we went to look for petroglyph. A petroglyph is a stone carving. We saw amazing original glyphs in a few of the walls. They showed a myriad of different symbols and meanings. We walked all around the sides of the canyon as well. That was where we saw the symbols.

Ally & Aiden



IMG_2016IMG_1808 chco4 chco6 chco7 chco9 chco10 chcoG2 chcoG3 shellrockchco IMG_2203 IMG_2225  IMG_1796  IMG_1911  IMG_2149 IMG_2248

Day 2: Friday, March 4th

Today we were all officially introduced to the culture of the Red Willow people, who are the people who live in the Taos Pueblo.

We started off the day with a late breakfast, and after that we went for a drive to The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Once we got there we took a hike where we saw some big horned sheep. After seeing the sheep, we realized the time, and began to hike back to the van. When we got back we decided to give ourselves a thrill and walk across the bridge that crosses the Gorge. When we walked across it was almost as if we were floating!!!! While we were on the bridge, a huge semi truck rustled bye and shook the bridge giving us a JOLT.

After our hike we took a drive to the Taos Pueblo! We were given a tour of the village and were given some details of the history of their town. We learned about how their religion works as well as the story of how Richard Nixon gave back the Blue Lake and surrounding land that had been turned into a national forest by President Roosevelt. After the tour we were given the freedom to roam the beautiful village. We walked around with our friends determined to find Fry Bread (which there happened to be a shortage of)!!! However, we did manage to find Fry Bread in the end. We got to have conversations with the locals, and it was really amazing getting to talk to them.

After our time walking around the village, we drove to a Pueblo family’s home where we got to learn about traditional Pueblo bread and cookie making, as well as hatchet throwing!!! After the Hatchet throwing and cookie making we joined together and ate home cooked chili, potato salad, bread, and of course the cookies we had made. But, the day wasn’t over just yet.

Once we got to the lodge we got the privilege of watching Pueblo drummers. It was a pleasure to listen to Native American singing and taking part in a dance. All in all it was an exciting day.

Parker, Josie & Orlando


edited5 edited4 edited3  edited1IMG_2131p1edited



IMG_4117IMG_2138 drumming

Day 1: Thursday, March 3rd

The first day of field academy we woke up at 1:30 am to get on a bus to the airport. Once we got to the airport we were all given forty dollars to buy breakfast and lunch at the airports. We all ended up buying candy and Starbucks. After two hours of shopping we boarded the plane. On the first plane we were all surprisingly awake and energetic. It was only an hour flight but the second plane was a 4 hour flight. The second plane was so fun. Ally Diego and I (Lilah) slept for two hours, sleeping in strange positions throughout the flight. I woke up a little before Diego and Ally so I ordered water. The flight attendant brought my water and I tried to put the tray down but Ally and Diego were sleeping on my lap so I moved my knee up, causing the water to spill on Ally’s head and all over my pants. The rest of the flight I was very uncomfortable for me but music helped. We had a silent dance party because we weren’t allowed to sing. Deigo rocked the Drake songs while I crushed the Rihanna songs.

Once we got off the airplane we met Floyd our guide. We all got into white vans with about 12 damn Daniel jokes. We drove to the Santa Fe Plaza. The boys went and got pizza, which they raved about. We got to stretch our legs after the long morning, and then got back into the vans.

In my van we had an interesting experience. Cameron, Aiden, Orlando, Ben, Hayden and Josie were passengers. Ms. Biscardi drove and Mr. Mulhern was in the passenger seat. We were driving on the highway between the mountains. Suddenly this car was driving too fast and drove into the wrong lane towards us. Luckily Ms. Biscardi steered away to the other side of the road just in time.

After a while we stopped to see the Rio Grande canyon and take photos. Dinner came around and we went to a Mexican restaurant called Guadalajara grill. Everyone was running up to me (Diego) asking how to order in Spanish. The food was amazing and the people were very nice. In the girls’ lodge we ended the night with a dance party. So far this trip was so fun and we can’t wait for the rest!

Lilah, Taylor & Diego

IMG_0861 IMG_0892 IMG_0941 IMG_0982 IMG_1025 _MG_3968 IMG_3958 IMG_3977

IMG_0904 IMG_0906