Belize Day 5

IMG_1777IMG_1801IMG_1794IMG_9110day 5 school 2day 5 schoolPeter SchoolGideon Marco SchoolIMG_9150IMG_9147IMG_9188IMG_1894IMG_9195IMG_1908

Today everyone woke up early realizing that we were going on a hike to the dry cave. Little did we know there was a very long and dangerous hike ahead. The hike took about 30 minutes. There were so many obstacles to overcome such as high climbs and slippery rocks. There were also poisonous animals that we had to keep an eye on such as snakes, spiders, and scorpions. We had to climb very steep cliffs relying on strong tree vines. As we neared the end of the hike we were confused on how to enter the cave. We found out that we had to climb through a small hole.  Looking at the hole, we didn’t think everyone could fit. Somehow we managed to get everyone in the cave.

We had to crawl through lots of small openings to get to the main part of the cave where everyone could stand. We turned our headlights on and were amazed by the size of the gigantic cave.  We were shocked to see the sparkling stalactites hanging on the ceiling and could see the calcium dripping off the stalactites onto the floor creating the stalagmites. We had to watch our step to make sure we didn’t trip on them. At one point, the tour guide told us all to turn off our lights so we could listen to the quietness of the cave. It was a very peaceful sound but also pitch black. It was so dark that you couldn’t even see your hand in front of you.

Soon we crawled back through the small openings that led us to the top of the cave where we started. The hike back down from the cave was very dangerous and slippery. We had to watch our every step in case we slipped on the mud. The hike was very steep and luckily no one got hurt. The hike back was much quicker than the hike there. Even when we got back to the site, we were still in awe about how amazing the cave was.

After we got back from the hike everyone was hot and sweaty and ready for a swim in the creek/river. Once everyone dried off, the girls were tanning on the small dock until Gideon, Nacho, and Alex decided to push Ms. Strong into the water. That’s how the pushing competition started. Before we knew it, there was no one left on the dock. Right as everyone started to calm down Mr. Mulhern decided to push Ms. Biscardi in the water and it all started again. Everyone was having a great time and it was a lot of fun.

We had a quick lunch at 12 and had to leave for our trip to the school at 1. When we got to the school there was a group of little boys and girls. When we entered the classroom, the students from Ross introduced themselves. The kids were very excited and couldn’t wait to play with us. We separated into groups so that some of us could interview some of the students. Falon, Karen, and Dualta interviewed the teachers and asked questions about the school day and education. We played with the kids for a long time and even planted Mahogany trees with them. Everyone was having a blast.

When it was time to leave all the little boys and girls came to say goodbye and give us hugs. Some of the students really bonded with each other, and it was an amazing experience. We donated watercolors to the school too. Little did we know, we would get to see the students again when we were buying crafts from the locals. They were very happy to see us again.

After dinner, we were lucky enough to be invited to someone’s home for a dance party. We learned about the dancing and the different traditions of the Mopan Maya. It was really fun and a wonderful opportunity. Before we left, we individually thanked all the Belizeans for a wonderful time at Blue Creek.

By: Dualta, Falon and Karen