Day 10: Coral Reef Restoration and Our Return to Mainland

Today as usual I woke up at 6:00am and headed to breakfast at 7:00am. At 8:00am we did a mindfulness meditation session. We also did two other activities. The first activity we did was go around in a circle and say things that we loved. A highlight of the game was when Martin said that he loved pandas. The second activity we did was go around in a circle and talk about our golden moments. A golden moment is a time where you feel you shined the most. Everyone’s golden moments were really sweet and thought out.

After that some of the high school students we met yesterday, who study marine biology, came to do some reef conservation activities. We were thus split into three different groups. Each group was assigned a reef protection project. One group was on land planting mangroves, the other group was identifying fish and the last group (my group) was re-planting the reef.

It was the perfect day to go snorkeling. The water was crystal clear and amazingly blue. Fiji is truly an astounding place. Everything is so colorful and fresh. It was a very low tide so we had to walk a bit far to get to the good zone. Once we reached the spot we had to dive down and grab bits of the fallen reef. We collected a lot of the reef. I saw so many beautiful fish whilst I was down there. My favorite fish that I saw was a little neon blue fish that zapped around. After we collected enough reef pieces we headed back to the shore to take a quick snack break. After our little break we headed back out to replant the reef. In order to re-plant the reef we had to dive really deep and attach the pieces to a cage contraption thus restoring the reef. It was really fun but alas it had to come to an end.

We came back to the shore and had some time before lunch. I spent my time packing my bag and then I ate some lunch. Lunch was our final meal. It was a bittersweet affair. The friends we made at the resort, all local villagers, sang us a beautiful goodbye song, and Miss. London, as always, cried. After lunch we had some time before we had to leave the island. I spent my free time playing volleyball, swinging in the hammock and going for a final swim. We left at 2:15 to head to the main island. The boat ride to the main island takes around four hours. The boat ride is very nice. I sat in the front and the ocean breeze is so relaxing. Sadly I got insanely burnt but it’s ok because it’s Fiji.

Fiji is amazing -on the boat ride we were able to see a bunch of different islands. Each island is different and breathtaking. After our boat ride we headed to our hotel. We ate dinner and saw a slideshow of our trip thus far. The photos were really nice. It’s crazy to see how much we have done in such a short amount of time. I feel like I have been in Fiji for months and I can’t wait to see what lies ahead for the rest of the trip!

My trip thus far has been absolutely amazing. I have become friends with so many new people. I have seen and experienced so many things that I never thought I would be able to do. Fiji is truly a wonderful place. The locals are so welcoming and happy. Everyone is constantly smiling and the group as a whole works really well together. I love this trip so much and I am so thankful that I decided to go on it. Although we are nearing the end there is still so much more to see and experience in Fiji and I hope the rest of the trip is as amazing as the beginning.